Saturday, 13 August 2011

Graduation and Road Trip Part 2

So today is the last of my 'rest' days in Eugene with LeeAnn. Although the resting hasnt lasted long, we have been to a couple of bars, to a great BBQ which made me question my life (faaarrr to much to go into on this blog!) been to the gym, on bike rides, and OH MY GOD to the supermarket. Ben and LeeAnn told me that the supermarket - Costco was big, but wow! Think a cash and carry warehouse multiplied by 1000! I have never seen a box of cereal i could potentially climb into and a bottle of olive oil big enough to last the average person 2 lifetimes! As Ben says, when America claims not to be a consumerist society - this is enough evidence to dispute that entirely. After the novelty of seeing a 500 roll packet of loo paper, I'm not sure I liked it all too much, especially because the trolley/shopping cart was bigger than my living  room and a bugger to maneuver! On the other hand I went to an amazing supermarket after this called The Market  of Choice (yes, i was on a guided tour of supermarkets) where there is a smaller quantity of each product but for each thing you can choose (hence, Market of Choice) from either the generic name brand, the best known brand and  then there will always be  an organic and locally sourced product there too. This idea rocks!
Last night we went to a BBQ with some of LeeAnns classmates and teachers from her masters program (she is graduating today) then went into town to the same bar where I won at bingo and played trivia. We came second :( However all of the people I met were so interesting and made me remember why I love travelling and living abroad. Don't worry, James this doesnt mean i'm moving over here! Although I am beginning to get bothered by people saying - ooooh you're from England, bet you're glad not to be over there at the moment, what do you know about the riots. - and I'm just thinking - oh, god i'm really not trying to think about this right now!!! even the woman in the postoffice (who read all of my postcards before attaching the stamps) was droning on about it!
So i'm going to scoot off now to the market and to see LeeAnn graduate, then if I have time, there are some things I mentioned in my last blog that I want to go into a little more detail about because every day I have thought 'ok, this is my favourite thing so far', then the next day we'll go somewhere else and that completely blows the other things out of the water. It's all been so completely amazing that i HAVE to share it with you guys!
So, tomorrow is the start of road trip part deux and incase youre interested, here is the rough itinerary -
Sunday - Drive north to Washington to stay with LeeAnns friend Renee
Monday - Head on to Port Angeles and take the ferry over to Canada!! (Victoria) Couch surfing this night!
Tuesday - Visiting Butchart Gardens in Victoria
(here's where we are not exactly sure of plans but it should go a little something like this)
Wednesday - Ferry back to Washington to Forks and the Twilight geeking out begins! Then either camp over night in Forks or head to our next destination, Seattle
Thursday - Seattle, Lunch at the Space Needle :D
Friday - Seattle
Saturday - start heading back to Eugene via Multnomah falls, hike, visit Mount Hood and Mirror Lake. Go hang out with Olivia and Jessie in Eugene
Sunday - MY LAST DAY!
Setting off Monday 22nd at 10am and arrive at heathrow at 14.30 on Tuesday - grossness!
Ok, don't say I don't keep you in the loop! (Mike)
Much love
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment